NOTE: Portugal has eased Covid-19 lockdown measures and we reopened our residency program in August. We adapted our program in full compliance to COVID19 safety recommendations.
A makers residency program in rural area of Messejana
Buinho residency program started in 2016, pioneering for being a fablab located in a rural village, and offering a full residency program. Since then our Residency program has been successfully growing the number of applications, and today Buinho is a European reference, enabling the merging of Art and Technology, or Art and Digital Fabrication.
The Buinho Residency program is directed at makers, creatives and researchers from different backgrounds. The makers in residency program encourage exchange, dialogue, and experimentation. The residencies are process-based, allowing visiting makers and artists to develop projects in response to the relationship with the local environment and community, or to conduct research benefiting from Buinho’s resources, and the daily life and environment of Messejana.
The residency program also includes:
- free weekly tutorials and workshops about 3D printing, 3D modeling, CNC and laser cutting, robotics, and plastic recycling
- weekly contacts with the locals from Messejana where we explore traditional practices as goat cheese or bread making, or visits to traditional artisans’ workshops
- special programs and workshops for residents, such as the Precious Plastic Workshop (for recycling plastic: https://preciousplastic.com/), or our special education branch called Buinho Education (digital empowerment of local children and seniors).
The minimum period of stay is 2 weeks, and the maximum is 3 months. Residencies should start either on the 1st or on the 15th of each month.
We accept makers that apply just for two weeks since some may have work restrictions (example professors), and we don’t want to create entry barriers to those with professional duties. Nevertheless, we encourage artists to apply to a superior period to improve the quality of the residency (research, production, experience).
The Buinho residency program provides private accommodation and shared work-spaces in two different locations:
- Sao Joao house is a XIX century shepherd’s house, remodeled in 2019 to offer a unique charm. It is located in the street of the museum, on top of a hill, offering from its garden a unique view over Messejana. It’s studios with high white walls and quiet environment offer the perfect setting for visual artists and writers.
- The second space, the Buinho main studio and Fablab, is also a traditional house that was entirely renovated to provide a modern studio style residence. The building is divided into three spaces so that you can generate ideas, share them in a social area and be able to materialize them in the Fablab equipped with tools and machines.
Both houses are fully equipped and they include:
• working studios • private desk space • free Wi-Fi access in all interior and exterior spaces • equipped kitchens • individual storage space and a fridge • cleaning service once a week
Fees for accommodation
- São João larger bedroom with private bathroom – 700€;
- São João other two bedrooms – 650€;
- Buinho bedroom with private studio – 700€;
- Buinho bedroom with shared studio – 600€